[CIG-SHORT] error reinstalling pylith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Jun 11 10:20:31 PDT 2012

Vusi,

The config.log file you sent to Matt contains

� FCLD � libhdf5_fortran.la

ld: codegen problem, can't use rel32 to external symbol
__gfortrani_compile_options in __gfortrani_init_compile_**options from
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-**darwin10/4.2.1/x86_64/**
libgfortran.a(compile_options.**o)

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am not sure where what gfortran version you are using and how it was
built. It looks like it only provides a static gfortran library and may
not be compatible with what we need for PyLith. In general, we need a
dynamic libraries to build the Python modules.

The recommended settings for building PyLith via the installer for
Darwin are to have the installer build gfortran (see the DESTKTOP-DARWIN
settings in the INSTALL file for the installer):

   $HOME/src/pylith/pylith-installer-1.7.0-0/configure \
     --enable-gcc=fortran \
     --enable-python \
     --enable-mpi=openmpi \
     --with-fetch=curl \
     --with-make-threads=2 \
     --prefix=$HOME/pylith

You may need to remove the currently installed gfortran to avoid
conflicts with the version you have already installed into the system
directories.

Additionally, we *strongly* recommend starting with the binary
distribution rather than building from source. We have PyLith version
1.7.0 binaries for OS X 10.5 and 10.6/10.7.