[CIG-SHORT] mesh smoothing in CUBIT

Matthew Knepley knepley at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 26 12:40:30 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Hongfeng Yang <hyang at whoi.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to run a dynamic rupture simulation on a 3d realistic mesh. Pylith
> is terminated due to the following error:
> mpinemesis: feassemble/CellGeometry.cc:252: static void
> pylith::feassemble::CellGeometry::_orient2D(pylith::double_array*, const
> pylith::double_array&, double, const pylith::double_array&): Assertion
> `mag > 0.0' failed.

I think Brad just answered an identical question on this list. This can
happen if
you set a boundary condition on a face which has normal in the z-direction
(0,0,1)
since that coincides with the default up vector. You have to set the
up-direction to
something else in order to do this. He gives an example.

   Matt

> Based on the above message, I think there are bad quality cell elements
> in the mesh. Then I try to use smooth function in CUBIT to further
> improve the mesh quality. However, the smoothing function can not
> proceed due to the following:
>
> Smoothing Halted because Minimum Attained, alpha=0.000000
>  Condition Number smoothing criterion not satisfied:
> Maximum condition number (2.744220) is not
>  less than or equal to criterion beta (1.700000)
>
> Initial mesh minimizes untangle objective function.
> No untangling needed.
> Initial minimum scaled jacobian = 0.121869
> Initial maximum condition number (3.367455) is
>  greater than criterion beta (1.700000)
> Proceeding with condition number smoothing.
>

> Can anyone help at this point?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hongfeng
>
> --