[CIG-SHORT] Kinematic faults vs dynamic faults and fault opening

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Wed May 16 14:09:28 PDT 2012

Brad,

Do you mean

if u_n>  0, we set T_f = 0 even if the cohesion is nonzero?

In my rupture simulations, I run into the fault opening case on a curved fault surface. The error is the following

WARNING! Fault opening with nonzero traction., v_fault: 7063, opening: 10.7885, normal traction: -4870.89
mpinemesis: faults/FaultCohesiveDyn.cc:348: virtual void pylith::faults::FaultCohesiveDyn::integrateResidual(const pylith::topology::Field<pylith::topology::Mesh>&, double, pylith::topology::SolutionFields*): Assertion `fabs(tractionNormal)<  _zeroTolerance' failed.
[0]0:Return code = 0, signaled with Aborted

What may be the reason to cause the large u_n in the above case?  Ill shape element? And how can I fix it in addition to increase the value of zero_Tolerance?

Another question is whether there is an option toenforce u_n to be a small value if u_n>  zero_Tolerance,  in order to avoid fault opening during dynamic rupture simulation?I looked into thefaults/FaultCohesiveDyn.ccand did not find  such thing.

Thanks,

Hongfeng

Postdoc Investigator
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution