[CIG-SHORT] Parallel computing problem

Romain Jolivet rjolivet at caltech.edu
Tue May 22 18:36:40 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have a problem running pylith on multiple nodes.

My model is based on an elastic medium with a fault in it. When I use the FaultCohesiveKin property and impose the displacement, everything is fine.
However, when I use the FaultCohesiveDyn property, with StaticFriction, it starts getting messy. My files are attached.
I run:
pylith step01.cfg
and the run is fine
If I run
pylith --nodes=10 step01.cfg
it crashes at the first time step. I tried with nodes=2 to nodes=12 (the number of cores on my machine) and I had the same result. The error message comes from petsc.

I went into the pylith examples to find a similar, but simpler, problem. In example/3d/hex8/, I tried to run step10.cfg:
with one node, it is fine:
pyltih step10.cfg
However, when you ask for several nodes (more than 2), it crashes:
pylith --nodes=3 step10.cfg
with 2 nodes, it seems to be fine, but you have a petsc error message at the end.

I someone has an idea on this....
Thank you
Romain