[CIG-SHORT] Parallel computing problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue May 29 11:09:08 PDT 2012

Romain,

I found a parallel bug in FaultCohesiveDyn that could cause problems
when running faults with friction in parallel. I pushed the fix to our
PyLith version 1.7 code. We hope to release Fri June 1.

Your problem runs for me but the nonlinear solve runs out of iterations
before it converges. It looks like the problem is related to the absence
of realistic fault normal tractions. You impose Dirichlet BC, which will
create very small (in some cases negligible) fault normal compressive
tractions. I recommend imposing initial fault tractions (compressive
normal tractions and, optionally, shear tractions) or gravitational body
forces consistent with the overburden. This will yield more realistic
conditions and facilitate convergence.

I used the following solver settings for your 2-D problem in addition to
the ones you used in your pylithapp.cfg file. This accelerates the rate
of convergence in the linear solve. These are more appropriate for your
problem than the ones that Charles provided (which were for a 3-D
problem and didn't use the custom constraint preconditioner).

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was out of the office all last week.

[pylithapp.timedependent.formulation]
split_fields = True
matrix_type = aij
use_custom_constraint_pc = True