[CIG-SHORT] fault opening problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 21 15:29:08 PST 2012

Roby,

It looks like there might be a bug related to nonplanar geometry and
fault slip causing opening when using explicit time stepping. I have not
yet been able to investigate this problem fully.

If you are building from source, a workaround is to remove the assert on
line 379 of libsrc/pylith/faults/FaultCohesiveDyn.cc:
   assert(fabs(tractionNormal) < _zeroTolerance);

You will still get the warning about fault opening but the code will run.

I will try to fix this ASAP but I will likely not be able to get it done
before AGU.