[CIG-SHORT] Does normal traction perturbation affect normal fault traction

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Nov 23 07:45:43 PST 2012

Birendra,

The traction on the fault is the traction from deformation + traction
perturbation. For example if you specify an initial normal traction
perturbation of -100 MPa and a static coefficient of friction of 0.6,
then the static friction on the fault would be 60 MPa in the absence of
any deformation. In dynamic spontaneous rupture simulations with elastic
materials, we generally impose a traction perturbation to generate
initial (background) stresses on the fault rather than computing them
from deformation imposed on the boundary.