[CIG-SHORT] small-scale crack opening convergence problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Oct 31 13:09:58 PDT 2012

Scott,

One of the main issues is that your only boundary conditions are two
Neumann BC, so your model has a null space consisting of translation and
rotation. You need to constrain your domain with one or more DirichletBC
to prevent rigid body motion while keeping just one Neumann BC.

Your ksp_atol needs to be less than your snes_atol by at least 1-2
orders of magnitude.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been out of the office.