[CIG-SHORT] Mesh Interpolation

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Sep 13 08:26:44 PDT 2012

Bobby,

Faults within PyLith need not extent through the entire domain, but
there are limitations on how you can create such faults using CUBIT. For
example, CUBIT only recognizes interior surfaces between two volumes.
See the journal files posted for example "CUBIT: Examples of 3-D
meshing" posted on the CDM2012 workshop agenda page (4:30pm-5:15pm on
Tue,
http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workshops/CDM2012/agenda).

Fault intersections are trickier. We do not allow faults to intersect;
they must terminate one cell away from the intersection. This simply
means the nodesets for two faults cannot have any vertices in common. We
hope to be able to relax this requirement in the future.