[CIG-SHORT] Restart

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:35:48 PDT 2012

Hi Birendra,

In addition to what Brad said, we wouldn't be implementing something like what you suggest anyway, since it would only work for purely elastic materials.  For any other type of material, there is important information carried in the state variables.  Just knowing the displacements wouldn't be enough.

On 17/09/2012, at 5:40 AM, Birendra jha wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1. Is it possible to restart a pylith run from where it stopped? I only have displacements at every point (vtk output of the problem.formulation.output.domain). Can I use something like following, but displacements in place of stress:
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.materials.upper_crust]
>
> db_initial_stress = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB
>
> db_initial_stress.iohandler.filename = spatialdb/initial_stress.spatialdb
>

> 2. Is there something like db_initial_displacement for each material region?
>
> 3. Right now I have displacements for entire domain together. Can I get nodal displacements by material region (to be used above for restart)?
> Following doesn't work because elasticisotropic3d.outputmatelastic.vertex_data_fields does not exist:
> [pylithapp.timedependent.materials.elastic.output]
>
> output_freq = time_step
>
> time_step = 1.0*yr
>
> vertex_data_fields = [displacements]
>

> Any suggestions on how to restart?