[CIG-SHORT] ask for help about simulation of wave field with dynamic fault

Charles Williams C.Williams at gns.cri.nz
Mon Apr 1 16:39:41 PDT 2013

Dear Yao,

Sorry for the slow response, as I've been away.  I'm also posting your question on the cig-short mailing list, which is a useful resource for PyLith-related matters.  If I'm understanding your questions correctly, the answer to the first one is both.  I believe that PyLith can include both spatial and temporal variations in tractions on the fault (Brad can correct me if I'm wrong on this), and the simulation also includes traction changes for spontaneous rupture.

In response to your second question, I think the tip means that static simulations are easier to set up and run, so they make a good starting point for understanding how to set up a simulation.  Also, several of the examples in 3d/hex8 use fault friction, so these can be a good place to start.

On 28/03/2013, at 3:07 PM, yaoxiaodong1986 wrote:

> Dear Charles,
>
> I am sorry to trouble you. I have read your ppt named "Overview of PyLith" ,on June 18, 2012.
>
> I want to simulate the S and P wave field on the ground surface with a spontaneous rupturing dynamic fault, could you
> give some advice and guidance.
>
> The new Features in PyLith,Spatial and temporal traction variations for spontaneous rupture,does it mean that the traction restriction apply on the fault can variate spatially and temporally ,or does it meant that the simulation could compute the traction on the fault for spontaneous rupture spatially and temporally?
>
> In PyLith Tips, Dynamic simulations Start with a static simulation. what does it mean? does it mean a simulation with dynamic fault could not start spontaneously, but start by stimulating with  kinematic fault on the rupture breaking point .
>
> Hope for your help, thanks.
>
> Best regards
>

> --
> 祝好!
>
> 药晓东
>
> Yao Xiaodong,  Doctor candidate
>
> College of Earth Science, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
>
> Address: 19A, Yuquan Road, Shijingshan City of Beijing, China
>
> Zipcode: 100049
>
> Phone:  86-10-88256339

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon
PO Box 30368
Lower Hutt  5040
New Zealand
ph (office): 0064-4570-4566
fax (office): 0064-4570-4600
C.Williams at gns.cri.nz

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.