[CIG-SHORT] pseudo plane-strain in Pylith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 5 15:02:03 PDT 2013

Lucas,

Solving plane strain problems with meshes one cell think causes
logistical problems like you are running into. My suggestion would be to
keep the front and back planes with Dirichlet BC but also apply a
Neumann BC to the points intersecting the fault to create a
pseduo-Dirichlet BC. As long as the out of plan deformation is caused by
a constant traction, this should work reasonably well. A better solution
would be to use PyLith in 2-D and your other code in 3-D and map the
solution back/forth.

Brad