[CIG-SHORT] pseudo plane-strain in Pylith

Lucas Abraham Willemsen lawillem at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 5 15:42:01 PDT 2013

Thanks for your suggestions,

I tried the pseudo-dirichlet you suggested Brad, but I did not have good results. I think the best way of dealing with this would be to probably be to do transfer the information from the 2D mesh in Pylith to the 3D mesh for the flow simulation. The 3D mesh would then be generated by extruding the 2D mesh so they have exactly the same in-plane geometry.

I haven't written the flow code or the connecting piece myself and I am cooperating with a colleague for that part. I'm wondering if it would be hard to connect the information in the different meshes. Charles, do you have any suggestions on how you have done this? Is there some pattern in the node numbers you exploited when feeding your 3D pressures into the 2D Pylith mesh? Or did you look at the x-z coordinates for nodes in the 3D mesh and find the corresponding node with same x-z coordinates in the 2D mesh?

I will discuss this option with my colleague and if it turns out it is not viable I may reopen this thread to find out why the pseudo-dirichlet does not seem to work properly.

cheers,
Lucas

________________________________
From: cig-short-bounces at geodynamics.org [cig-short-bounces at geodynamics.org] on behalf of Charles Williams [willic3 at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 18:14
To: cig-short at geodynamics.org
Subject: Re: [CIG-SHORT] pseudo plane-strain in Pylith

Hi Lucas,

I've done a similar model, but going the other way (feeding fluid pressures from a flow code into the fault-normal stress for PyLith.  To do this, I used a 2D mesh for PyLith and a 3D mesh (1 element thick) for the flow code.  If you are careful when designing the meshes, you can have elements that are identical, except that the quadrilaterals are extruded to form hexahedra.  The flow code provided identical fluid pressures on the front and back faces, so I was able to select one to use.  Hopefully, you can do something similar for your problem.