[CIG-SHORT] Principal Stress Axes

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 8 22:09:52 PDT 2013

Bobby,

Your best option is to write out to HDF5 files and use a Python script
to compute the principal stress axes. The PyLith binary includes the
Python h5py module which makes reading HDF5 files trivial. You can add
the principal stress values to the binary and then update the Xdmf file
using pylith_genxdmf. This will allow you to load the principal stress
values ParaView. See examples/2d/subduction/afterslip_tractions.py for
an example of reading an HDF5 file using Python.

The stress coordinate system is the global XYZ coordinate system.

Brad