[CIG-SHORT] dynamic benchmark problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 15 11:03:20 PDT 2013

Roby,

The SCEC benchmarking site http://scecdata.usc.edu/cvws/cgi-bin/cvws.cgi
shows the results from various codes. There are various implementations
and discretizations. Unfortunately, they don't show the effect of
discretization size very well. The benchmarks were designed to be run at
100m, but some benchmarks are more robust than others. The branching
benchmarks tend to more dependent upon discretization size than others
due to the effects of dynamic stresses.

See TPV24-25 for examples (I ran these at both 100m and 200m
resolutions). In TPV24-25 it is clear that there is a greater
sensitivity to discretization size when the rupture is just on the verge
of propagating. A finer discretization will tend to yield larger peaks
in dynamic stresses, thereby making it easier for triggering of ruptures
on favorably oriented faults.