[CIG-SHORT] dynamic benchmark problem

Roby Douilly rdouilly at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 15 14:07:29 PDT 2013

Brad,

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that in benchmark TPV24-25 there is no nucleation zone.
In this one I can see that the traction increases with depth but I didn't see any nucleation zone.
Is that right?

Roby

On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:

> On 4/15/13 12:14 PM, surendra at caltech.edu wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Roby Douilly wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Brad, I will try changing the shear wave speed and wave
>>> period to see. But I do have a question regarding this benchmark. I
>>> run the 200m resolution and in this case the rupture didn't
>>> propagate in the branch fault. The reason I was trying to run the
>>> 100m resolution is to see if the rupture could propagate on the
>>> branch fault. Do you think that the rupture will propagate on the
>>> branch fault at 100m  and also is 200m to large for the rupture to
>>> jump on the branch fault?
>>
>> By going to finer resolutions, you are testing convergence of a
>> problem rather than addressing the question of whether or not rupture
>> propagates on to the branch.  Branch fault may or may not rupture
>> depending on factors like rupture speed, branch angle and stress
>> orientation but should be independent of resolution as long as
>> cohesive zone is well resolved.
>
> Yes, the resolutions are testing convergence, but the convergence is not
> simply limited to resolving the cohesive zone. The behavior depends on
> the dynamic stress changes associated with the propagating seismic waves
> that interact with the rupture. The resolution must also be fine enough
> to resolve the peaks in the dynamic stress changes.

Roby

Roby Douilly
Graduate Student
Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
Purdue University
550 Stadium Mall Dr.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
rdouilly at purdue.edu