[CIG-SHORT] problem getting fault rupture (slip weakening)

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 25 14:52:57 PDT 2013

Lucas,

I wouldn't be surprised if you need to adjust more than just the length
scale. Pay attention to the time scale as well. I think a very important
question you need to figure out is what is the order of magnitude of
displacement and slip you expect to see. If the slip is expected to be
somewhere near 1.0e-8, then the length scale for nondimensionalization
is going to need to be rather small. Your discretization size would be 9
orders of magnitude greater, so you would be trying to resolve a wide
range of scales, which is very tough to do computationally. Those types
of problems often require adaptive mesh refinement and other multi-scale
techniques.

Until your nondimensionalized parameters give solution and Jacobian
values of similar order, I think you shouldn't focus too much on solver
performance, because it could be misleading. Nevertheless, it should get
better with the right choice of scales.

Brad