[CIG-SHORT] principle stress

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 2 13:36:59 PST 2013

Xiao,

As Charles mentioned in his email yesterday, PyLith does not provide a
means to output principal stresses. PyLith outputs the stress tensor
components, so you can compute the principal stresses and their
orientation using your favorite post-processing software, like Matlab or
just plain Python via numpy (see the numpy.linalg.eigh function). The
PyLith binary includes Python and the numpy module.