[CIG-SHORT] Principle stress

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Dec 4 08:31:26 PST 2013

Xiao,

The file Charles sent is included in the binary. It is
src/pylith/playpen/postproc/princaxes.py. This is a python script, and
the parameters are in princaxes.cfg, which is included in the same
directory. Note that this script requires TVTK that is part of the
Enthought Mayavi distribution. You probably don't have this software
installed.

A better approach is to have PyLith output to HDF5 files, which can be
accessed from Matlab or Python (via h5py) with just a few lines of code
(see src/pylith/examples/2d/greensfns/invert_slip.py for an example of
using h5py). The Python script princaxes.py should still help you get
started, but it just solves the eigenvalue problem for the principal
stresses.