[CIG-SHORT] pylith1.8.0-0/openmpi build failing on OS X

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 29 11:00:25 PST 2013

Richard,

We have not encountered this problem you are describing with regards to
openmpi and darwin. I am still using 10.6 on my Mac; I am not sure if we
have tested building from source under 10.8.

We didn't setup the pylith-installer configure to have openmpi options
because we didn't anticipate the user needing to customize the openmpi
options. For clusters and other computers where custom MPI settings are
used, we expect a sysadmin to install MPI in a system wide location.

There are two easy workarounds to this problem:
(1) Install mpi yourself in a custom location that is in the path and
then don't install it using the pylith installer. You can customize the
mpi configure arguments to make them work on your machine.
(2) Manually adjust the openmpi configure options used by the pylith
installer by editing the install_openmpi target in the Makefile.