[CIG-SHORT] significant discrepancy between coseismic displacement field of homogeneous FEM model and Okada analytical solution

Matthew Knepley knepley at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 18 18:06:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:

> Yu Zhou,
>
> The main issue in comparing PyLith prescribed slip results with Okada is
> that Okada uses uniform slip patches while PyLith uses a continuous slip
> field that is C0 continuous. At the edges of a large uniform slip patch,
> there is a stress concentration, which would require very fine
> discretization with PyLith. If you want to compare PyLith against an Okada
> solution, the preferred approach is to construct a slip distribution that
> tapers linearly to zero at the buried edges of the fault. This is more
> difficult to represent in Okada. We have used many overlapping uniform slip
> patches of varying sizes stacked together to form a slip distribution with
> very fine stair stepping to approximate the linear variation represented
> exactly in PyLith. Our results show nice convergence using the error metric
> Matt mentioned.

This is probably worth mentioning in the manual since its is the first
thing many people are going to try. Better yet would be a benchmark
paper with the other codes that do viscoelasticity and faults. Then we
could just point people to the paper with everything worked out.

    Matt

experiments lead.
-- Norbert Wiener