[CIG-SHORT] Intermediate Results

BOK10 at pitt.edu BOK10 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:33:08 PDT 2013

So, I just checked and both the linear and nonlinear solutions are
converging. I'm not sure I know what you mean by different solution
settings? Do you mean the following:

# Preconditioner settings.
pc_type = asm
sub_pc_factor_shift_type = nonzero

# Convergence parameters.
ksp_rtol = 1.0e-20
ksp_atol = 1.0e-13
ksp_max_it = 1000000
ksp_gmres_restart = 50

# Linear solver monitoring options.
ksp_monitor = true
ksp_view = true
ksp_converged_reason = true

# Nonlinear solver monitoring options.
snes_rtol = 1.0e-20
snes_atol = 1.0e-11
snes_max_it = 1000000
snes_monitor = true
snes_view = true
snes_converged_reason = true

# PETSc summary -- useful for performance information.
log_summary = true

Bobby

> Hi Bobby,
>
> Are all of the solutions converging (both linear and nonlinear)?  I would
> have to look more at the different solution settings to see which of the
> two you've shown is more reasonable.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles
>

> On 9/03/2013, at 6:11 AM, BOK10 at pitt.edu wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I tried a mixture of those suggestions, and i was able to get it
>> to reduce its runtime by half.
>>
>> I do have a question regarding the most suitable ksp/snes tolerances
>> though:
>>
>> I ran two simulations. The first had the following:
>>
>> for the fault zero_tolerance = 1e-12
>> ksp_rtol/snes_rtol = 1e-20
>> ksp_atol = 1e-13
>> snes_atol = 1e-11
>>
>> The second had this:
>>
>> for the fault zero_tolerance = 1e-14
>> ksp_rtol/snes_rtol = 1e-20
>> ksp_atol = 1e-15
>> snes_atol = 1e-13
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is look at the time it takes for certain portions
>> of
>> my fault to rupture >1m. Running both simulations, I got wildly
>> different
>> results, and I'm not sure which to rely on at this point. Is there any
>> insight you might be able to give me regarding the best tolerances to
>> settle on?
>>
>> Bobby
>>

>>> Hmm.  It sounds to me as though you need to play with your parameters a
>>> bit.  I'm assuming you're using a frictional fault, which can
>>> definitely
>>> take a while to converge; however, you can do a few things to speed
>>> things
>>> up:
>>>
>>> 1.  Follow all of the suggestions Brad had from his previous e-mail.
>>> 2.  Make sure you have the highest quality mesh you can get.  Just one
>>> poorly formed element, especially on the fault, can really slow things
>>> down.
>>> 3.  Possibly try reducing your time step size.  It's possible that your
>>> load increment per timestep is too high for reasonable convergence.
>>>
>>> When you have a chance, I would see if you can build PyLith from source
>>> on
>>> your cluster.  In addition to allowing parallel runs, this will let you
>>> take advantage of any machine-specific tools (e.g., optimized math
>>> libraries, etc.).
>>>
>>> Let us know whether any of this helps.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Charles