[CIG-SHORT] RuntimeError: Determinant of Jacobian (1.74667e-08) for cell 0 is smaller than minimum permissible value (1e-06)!

Lucas Abraham Willemsen lawillem at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 18 09:07:13 PDT 2013

Hello Brad,

Thanks for the feedback. Surendra's help and Matt's comment helped me forward already. In response to your suggestions, I think a warning that the nondimensionalization values may be off would be helpful in pointing the user in the right direction.

Lucas
From: cig-short-bounces at geodynamics.org [cig-short-bounces at geodynamics.org] on behalf of Brad Aagaard [baagaard at usgs.gov]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 11:58
To: cig-short at geodynamics.org
Subject: Re: [CIG-SHORT] RuntimeError: Determinant of Jacobian (1.74667e-08) for cell 0 is smaller than minimum permissible value (1e-06)!

Lucas,

Sorry my reply yesterday afternoon didn't go through.

This is an issue that users run into from time to time when the
nondimensionalization scales are off, in this case the length scale.

We will think about some ways we can try to check for consistency in the
parameters and user input to detect poor choices for the
nondimensionalization scales. We will probably end of giving warnings
rather than errors because, as Matt noted, hard cutoffs are fragile.