[CIG-SHORT] Initial stress conditions

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 6 15:47:12 PST 2013

Eric,

I will look at the manual to see if we can improve the description of
using the initial stresses.

My recommended approach is to write down the stress field in the domain
and make sure your BC are consistent. Then check the stress and fault
traction output to make sure they are consistent with what you set as
parameters. If they don't agree, then something is wrong in the
simulation setup. Carefully examining all the various diagnostic output
is how I catch most of my errors in setting up simulations.