[CIG-SHORT] Time step

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 11 08:34:46 PST 2013

On 11/11/13 4:23 AM, Christian Baillard wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I do not want to stuff up the mailing list with all of my problems so that's why I'm sending this message to you personally.
> When running pylith I have a problem with the time step:

Please keep sending to cig-short at geodynamics.org. As Matt said, all
users benefit from hearing the questions and responses.

> File "/Users/baillard/pylith/pylith-1.9.0-darwin-10.6.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pylith/problems/TimeStepUniform.py", line 87, in timeStep
>      "step of %12.4e." % (self.dtN, dtStable))
> RuntimeError: Current nondimensionalized time step of   5.0000e+00 exceeds the nondimensionalized stable time step of   4.6202e-02
>
> I use the same dt (5 yr)  and total_time (100 yr) as in the example given in the 2d/subduction problem.
> I really appreciate the support you are giving, it helps me a lot.

We need more info to understand what is causing PyLith to calculate a
stable time step much smaller than your time step. Are you running a
quasi-static or dynamic simulation? What bulk rheology and corresponding
parameters are you using?