[CIG-SHORT] Time step

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 11 09:09:56 PST 2013

Christian,

For linear viscoelastic models in quasi-static simulations, we define
the stable time step to be 0.2 times the Maxwell time (viscosity / mu).
This should result in sufficient resolution of the relaxation process.
For your relatively low viscosity and larger shear modulus, the
relaxation time is very short (less than 0.3 years).

We seem to be missing a discussion of the stable time step for
quasi-static simulations in the PyLith manual. We will add in this
section for the next release.