[CIG-SHORT] Dynamic simulation with absorbing boundary

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Sep 17 12:53:42 PDT 2013

Birendra,

Imposing multiple traction related boundary conditions on a boundary
will result in their effects being added together. The AbsorbingDampers
BC applies tractions proportional to velocity. Superimposing a Neumann
BC will cause motion that will be partially damped by the absorbing
boundary condition. I doubt this is the type of behavior you are trying
to simulate.

If all you need is prescribed tractions on the fault, then using
traction perturbation prescribed on the fault is your best approach.

If you need stresses in the bulk medium too, then you can impose initial
stress field in the bulk medium. This is what we use in the SCEC dyanmic
rupture benchmarks with plasticity to setup consistent fault tractions
and stresses in the bulk medium.