[CIG-SHORT] plastic deformation

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 1 12:55:42 PST 2014

On 12/01/2014 12:40 PM, Charles Williams wrote:
> Hi Birendra,
>
> I’m glad to hear you’re implementing the Cam Clay model.
> Unfortunately, I have no idea on the best reference to use.  I have a
> number of plasticity papers on my computer.  After a quick glance, I
> see a paper by Hashiguchi and Mase (Int. J. Plasticity, 2007) that
> appears to describe an extension of the Cam Clay model.  That might
> be worth a look.
>
> In answer to your questions:
>
> 1.  Yes, the best place to start is by altering the existing
> DruckerPrager3D files.  The elasticConsts are the consistent tangent.
> Also, is the formulation an additive decomposition into elastic and
> plastic strain?

Clarification: I think Charles meant to suggest copying the existing
files to a new name (e.g., CamClay3D) rather than editing existing files.

I strongly recommend forking the PyLith repository to do this so you can
stay up-to-date and potentially contribute back to the main PyLith
development tree.