[CIG-SHORT] Error in installing on Pylith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Dec 12 13:01:01 PST 2014

On 12/12/2014 12:53 PM, Xiao Ma wrote:
> Hi,
> I got the following response from the sysadmi
> In the libtool file these two lines are already inside.
> ************************************
> Hi Xiao,
>
> If you have done the configure step, you can see in the file "libtool" under
> the line (FC is Fortran):
>
> # ### BEGIN LIBTOOL TAG CONFIG: FC
>
> # Additional compiler flags for building library objects.
>
> pic_flag=" -fPIC"
>
> # How to pass a linker flag through the compiler.
>
> wl="-Wl,"

In my experience finding and resolving this issue, the failed building
of the shared netcdff library came from incrorrect PIC flags. I had to
run the build commands by hand to diagnose the problem. This is far
beyond the scope of the help that we (PyLith developers) can provide,
which is why I suggest you work with your sysadmin. It may require
meeting with her in person.

> Regarding python installed on the campus cluster, it was built with GCC not
> Intel, so it would be best to use the CLUSTER option and build python
> (--enable-python
> in the configure command) in your software install. But first the original
> error (libnetcdff.so.5 not found) would need to be resolved.

Correct.