[CIG-SHORT] Initial condition

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Feb 7 13:13:16 PST 2014

See the PyLith manual for the implementation of rate-state friction in
PyLith. We regularize the approach to zero slip rate differently than
many other formulations in order to allow use of an iterative solver
(which a nonzero tolerance) in quasi-static problems. You should be able
to take this into account and setup your problem to start in equilibrium
with zero displacement and slip rate.

For dynamic problems I have been able to use zero velocity and slip rate
initial conditions with the fault in equilibrium in solving the SCEC
dynamic rupture benchmark problems. Of course, in these cases we are
focused on the rupture behavior in which the slip rates are many orders
of magnitude larger than the steady state values.