[CIG-SHORT] Unexpected output behavior

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 30 13:11:20 PDT 2014

Scott,

Yes, the settings in new_output.cfg will overwrite any corresponding
settings in step20.cfg.

HOWEVER, the object hierarchy changes when step20.cfg has

output = [domain,subdomain]

and new_output.cfg has

output = [points]

The settings in step20.cfg for "domain" and "subdomain" are no longer
valid, because output is now [points] and not [domain,subdomain].

ADDITIONALLY, in step20.cfg we use the more specific object name
[timedependent.implicit] where as in new_output.cfg you used the more
general [problem.formulation]. Using the more specific object name takes
precedence (this is subtle and it took me a few minutes to figure this out).

Fixing the second issue is easy. Dealing with the first issue generally
requires splitting up your .cfg files so you only add to the hierarchy
and don't subtract from it when you add more .cfg files on the command line.