[CIG-SHORT] Set shear wave speed to zero

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Jun 30 15:17:41 PDT 2014

Xiao,

PyLith currently only has the ability to solve the elasticity equation,
not the acoustic wave equation. While Vs=0 can work for dynamic
problems, it does not work for quasi-static problems, because the
stiffness matrix has a larger than expected null space. We have not
tested the code with Vs=0 for dynamic problems, and we currently have
checks to make sure Vs > 0 in the bulk constitutive models, so the
answer is no.

Brad