[CIG-SHORT] RuntimeError: Error occurred while adjusting topology to create cohesive cells for fault

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 5 08:13:15 PST 2014

Marcelo,

The main part of the error message is

RuntimeError: Error occurred while adjusting topology to create cohesive
cells for fault 'FAULT_SEISMO'.
Fault surface not a single connected component.

This means that PyLith did not find the fault surface to be a simply
connected domain. In other words, the fault appears be made up of
multiple patches that are not connected. If you think the fault is
simply connected, then there may be problems with the topology, such as
coincident nodes.

Based on the snapshot you included, I am not sure your mesh will be
suitable for what appears to be a subduction zone problem. The element
size seems quite heterogeneous with some large cells near the fault. It
looks like you may also have some significantly distorted cells in the
mesh too. You should use the quality improvement routines within Tetgen
and/or CUBIT to improve the mesh quality. In CUBIT, we prefer the
condition number smoothing and try to keep the condition number less
than 2.0.