[CIG-SHORT] Ininhomogeneous medium simulation & Elastoplastic model

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:16:44 PDT 2014

Hi Xiao,

For the first question, it depends on whether you want smooth or sharp gradations between the material properties.  Have a look at examples/3d/hex8/step08.cfg.  This is a power-law problem, but the basic idea is the same.  The associated spatial database is spatialdb/mat_powerlaw.spatialdb, which includes a vertical variation in the viscoelastic properties.  You define the variations in your spatial database (note that the data-dim is 1, since you are varying properties along a line), and in the .cfg file you will specify whether you want to do nearest neighbor (default) or linear interpolation.

For the second question, examples/3d/hex8/step09.cfg is an elastoplastic problem.

On 15/05/2014, at 7:25 am, Ma, Xiao <xiaoma5 at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am have the following question
> 1. I  want to a layered medium with changing material property , in the matprops.saptialdb, how should I define such changing material property.
> In this part of the file,
> // Columns are x, y, density, vs, vp
> 0.0 0.0 2700.0 2686.0 5372.0
>
> Should I defined it point by point? Is there an example for inhomogeneous layered simulation?
>

> 2. I also want to do a Elastoplastic model simulation, is there a corresponding example for this ?
>

> Thank you
>
> Xiao

Charles A. Williams
Scientist