[CIG-SHORT] multiple loads in step 18 & step 19

Sauber-Rosenber, Jeanne M. (GSFC-6980) jeanne.m.sauber-rosenberg at nasa.gov
Sun Nov 23 10:05:53 PST 2014

A number of us spoke briefly with Brad at the Stanford workshop about expanding (3D/hex)
step18 & step 19 (one surface load at 0,0) to input multiple loads.   IF I would like
to input a variable surface load over a portion of the positive Z face, I believe Brad
suggested creating a separate subdomain/nodeset on the +z face (?)   In CUBIT,  do I create
first the +z node set (CUBIT commands in step 1 below) and then I create a subset by removing nodes
outside a center region (incomplete CUBIT command in step 2 below)?

If I should create a subset of the z+ surface to input surface loads  commands:
1.	Do I need to input a load at every point in the subdomain to be
able to use linear interpolation?
2.	Do you put the 0 tractions on the edges of this subdomain or on the
edges of +z-face, i.e. such as in  the step 19 example given in the spatialdb/tractions_axial_pressure.spatialdb file?

I tried but never succeeded in creating a subdomain in CUBIT.

Step 1:
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Create node set for +z face
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
group "face_zpos" add node in surface 1
nodeset 16 group face_zpos
nodeset 16 name "face_zpos"

Step 2:
#create nodeset for load/unload set
what OTHER commands?
nodeset 17 in surface all with x_coord > 10001 remove
nodeset 17 in surface all with x_coord < -10001 remove
nodeset 17 in surface all with  y_coord > 10001  remove
nodeset 17 in surface all with  y_coord < -10001 remove

Thanks,
Jeanne Sauber