[CIG-SHORT] plastic deformation

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 13:07:11 PDT 2014

Hi Birendra,

On 6/10/2014, at 5:43 pm, Birendra jha <bjha7333 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Charles
>
> Thank you very much. That is very helpful.
>
> Eq.(5.113): Yes, cohesion c should not be there and the missing term is 3*\alpha_f*P^I.

Yes, that is what I have.

> Can you please confirm that derivative of d w.r.t epsilon i.e. Eqs.(5.123), with (5.124), is correct?

I have not reworked this equation, but it should be correct.  If you derive it yourself from equation 111, keep in mind that there is a factor of 2 involved for off-diagonal terms depending on whether you are using the tensor form or the vectorized equivalent of the stress/strain tensors.

> Eq.(5.117): Should P^I be multiplied with R_i as well? Although, this won't change the tangent matrix.

Yes.  I think I left it out because I knew it wouldn’t affect the tangent matrix, but I am making these corrections in the manual.

> I saw a recent paper (A new exact integration method for the Drucker–Prager elastoplastic model with linear isotropic hardening,
> László Szabó and Attila Kossa, Int J Solids Structures, 2012) that looks useful because it has exact expressions for tangent matrix.
> What do you think about these methods?

I haven’t looked at this, but I will try to have a look.  We don’t have that journal here at GNS.

> [...]
> a multiplicative decomposition (see the book referred to
> above).
>
> Cheers,
> Charles
>

> On 5/10/2014, at 1:20 pm, Birendra jha <bjha7333 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
> developers/users,
>>

> I am trying to understand Sec 5.4.2.1 Drucker-Prager
> Elastoplastic With No Hardening (Perfectly Plastic). Can you
> please point me to a paper/document which describes this
> formulation? For example,
>>
>> 1. What is the basis of Eq.(5.104), first
> equality? Can we write this for general loading?
>>
>> 2. What is the
> meaning of "taking the scalar product of both
> sides", above Eq.(5.109). I can derive lambda by
> multiplying Eq.(5.100) on both sides by df/dsigma : C^E. But
> this lamda does not quite look like (5.109) because of
> (5.104). also, I would like to understand d in Eq(5.110).
>>
>> 3. I am not able to
> derive the term in the bracket in Eq.(113). How does
> cohesion enter here?
>>
>> 4. Eq.(5.117): what is the basis of this
> split? Is it always valid?
>>
>> I'd just like to understand the
> formulation.
>>

> Thanks for any help
>> Birendra

>> On Thu, 10/2/14, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov>
> wrote:

> Re: [CIG-SHORT] plastic deformation
>> To:
> cig-short at geodynamics.org
>> Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014, 10:50
> AM
>>
>> Birendra,
>>
>> It would help to
> know what you
>> have tried to resolve
> this problem? Have
>> you checked the
> scales used in the
>>
> nondimensionalization? Have you
>>
> verified
>> convergence for the same
> problem with a linear elastic
>>
> material? Does a linear elastic material
>> converge in one nonlinear solve
>> iteration?
>> What else
> have you tried?
>>

> Regards,
>> Brad
>>

>> On 10/2/14, 6:39
> AM,
>> Birendra jha wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am trying to run a
>> plastic deformation case with the
> DruckerPrager3D material.
>> The nonlinear
> solver does not converge. Attached are my
>> files, which run.
>>>

>> It's a
> very small setup: 10x1x1 column, loaded at one
>> end with a cyclic load that leads to
> compression and tension
>> in the column
> in a sinusoidal manner.
>> want to compare the plastic strain output

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon