[CIG-SHORT] sensitivity of Drucker-Prager yielding to time step

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:27:35 PDT 2014

Hi Eric,

It’s hard for me to remember your problem exactly, but if I’m remembering correctly there was localized deformation when you had no fault — is that correct?  If so, the bug I just fixed may have solved that issue.  When comparing the results of the old and new versions for your plastic-nofault problem, I get:

old version:  plastic yield at the first time step, which magnitude varying from 0 to 3.58e-3
new version:  plastic yield at the third time step, with uniform yield throughout and a magnitude of 2.9e-6

Looking briefly at your plastic fault model, we get plastic yield in the second time step, occurring above the left-hand end of the fault and below the right-hand end of the fault.

Do these results seem reasonable?

If so, the fixed version is in the master and maint branches in our git repository.  Alternatively, we should have a minor release within the next week or so.

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon