[CIG-SHORT] slip orientation for a nonplanar fault surface

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 20 15:34:10 PDT 2014

Jiangzhi,

What time scale are you modeling? PyLith should be appropriate if the
problem can be solved with infinitesimal or small strains. Additionally,
the fault formulation in PyLith breaks down when the offset become large
enough so that the slip vector would need to be changing. We expect that
a finite-strain formulation would be needed as well for those types of
problems.