[CIG-SHORT] slip orientation for a nonplanar fault surface

Jiangzhi Chen jzchenjzarthur at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:53:16 PDT 2014

Thanks for the clarification. If in global coordinates, the surface
normal at the point on a subduction fault interface is n=[nx,ny,nz], is
the lateral motion direction ns parallel to n×[0,0,1] and the reverse
motion direction parallel to n×ns? And the fault opening is zero if all
the points move tangentially?

Jiangzhi