[CIG-SHORT] NEW RELEASE: Virtual Quake v2.1.0

Tyler Esser tjesser at ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 10 15:37:26 PST 2015

We are pleased to announce the release of Virtual Quake version 2.1.0
(vq-2.1.0.tar.gz).

After setting up continuous integration through CIG, this version contains
many technical improvements and compiler setting improvements that ensure
the code builds on a variety of Linux and Mac OS X environments. Other
changes are grouped by function below.

Simulation Checkpoint Saving is now supported. Specify a text file for
output and the number of events to complete before saving the state of the
simulation. The simulation can then be restarted from a specified
checkpoint. New PyVQ functions were created to paste together multiple
simulation files.

Fault Model Creation with the Mesher has been greatly improved. Stress
drops are now computed by the mesher and saved to the fault model. Faults
are better defined and used by the mesher to set stress drops. We have also
implemented better tapering of the slip rates, ensuring constant stress
drops along faults.

Many PyVQ plotting updates. We have many new features for analyzing fault
models, improved empirical scaling relations for California earthquakes,
and much improved subsetting options, automatic file-naming, and new
features to make movies of the slip during ruptures.

We encourage all users to update to this newest release.

You can obtain the source code and latest user manual through the CIG
website at: https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/vq/
Please e-mail your feedback, questions, comments, suggestions, and bug
reports to the CIG Short-Term Crustal Dynamics mailing list (cig-short at
geodynamics dot com). Issues with the source code package can be reported
directly on GitHub: https://github.com/geodynamics/vq

The Virtual Quake development team is: Kasey W. Schultz, Eric M. Heien,
Michael K. Sachs, John M. Wilson, Mark R. Yoder, John B. Rundle, and Donald
L. Turcotte.