[CIG-SHORT] Pylith troubleshooting

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 10 16:22:19 PST 2015

Marcello,

I have never tried to push the fault open and then closed again via a
traction perturbation. I have a cyclic loading test in which I move the
boundaries of the domain to open/close the fault. It works as designed.
That is, the fault is traction free when open and friction returns when
the fault is closed.

Your traction perturbation seems quite extreme. I think you are trying
to model the exploding wire used to nucleate the slip. The dynamic
elastic deformation surrounding the nucleation zone may help drive slip
so that you don't need to force the fault into tension via the traction
perturbation. A smaller amplitude perturbation might be sufficient. Have
you investigated this?

Nevertheless, if you try to drive the fault closed again with a negative
traction perturbation you should see a difference when open_free_surface
is set to False (default is True).

If open_free_surface = False, then when the fault is open the traction
perturbation will still be applied. However, whether it is sufficient to
close the fault depends on the dynamic elastic deformation.

If open_free_surface = True (default), then when the fault is open the
traction perturbation is not applied. If the fault is open, the fault is
traction free.