[CIG-SHORT] Dimensionless parameter setup in spatial database

Chunyu Liu (cliu5) cliu5 at memphis.edu
Sun Jul 5 22:01:14 PDT 2015

Hi,
I try to use the PYLITH to do static simulation about a strike-slip fault  and I want to use SimpleDB to implement the friction-coefficient and cohesion on the fault surface. I want to set up different coefficients in different regions. Thus, I do not want to use uniform database .
However, SimpleDB need to set up parameter unit. The friction-coefficient is dimensionless and have no unit.
How can I set it up ?

#SPATIAL.ascii 1
SimpleDB {
  num-values = 2

  // names of the fault coeffients
  value-names = friction-coefficient cohension

  value-units = Pa(wrong)   Pa  // units  ( I don’t know how to set up the unit, because friction-coefficient is dimensionless)

  num-locs = 12
  data-dim = 2
  space-dim = 3

  cs-data = cartesian {
    to-meters = 1.0
    space-dim = 3
  }
}
// Columns are
// (1) x coordinates(m)
// (2) y coordinates(m)
// (3) z coordinates(m)
// (4) friction_coefficient
// (5) cohension(Pa)
-163000 300000 0            1     0
-163000 300000 -120000      1     0
-111000 222000 0            1     0
-111000 222000 -120000      1     0
-109000 219000 0            0.6   0
-109000 219000 -120000      0.6   0
109000 -108000 0            0.6   0
109000 -108000 -120000      0.6   0
111000 -111000 0            1     0
111000 -111000 -120000      1     0
237000 -300000 0            1     0
237000 -300000 -120000      1     0

Thank you for your time and further suggestions.