[CIG-SHORT] fault traction orientation

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:58:09 PDT 2015

Hi Birendra,

I’m fairly sure that positive traction y should mean updip shear, and positive traction z should be tension.  Similarly, positive traction x should be left-lateral shear.  Unfortunately, I don’t think we have a 3D example that demonstrates this, but you could put one together by putting in a dipping fault with no slip.  You can then apply BC that should give updip shear, and another set of BC to produce tension.  Look at the resulting fault stresses and see if this agrees with what I said.  Let us know if this works for you.

> On 17/06/2015, at 2:29 am, Birendra jha <bjha7333 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I have questions on pylith fault traction orientations. Please open the attached figure. I loaded the fault info.vtk file in paraview to find out normal_dir and dip_dir directions. These vectors are in global coord system as per manual. For the fault in the picture, can you please answer those questions?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Birendra<fault_tractions.png>_______________________________________________

Charles A. Williams
Scientist