[CIG-SHORT] Gravity, fault opening and fault tractions

Ge Li, Mr ge.li2 at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 3 18:43:40 PST 2015

Hi Brad,
How are you? I have some questions about fault opening, gravity and its influences on fault tractions.
Fault opening also occurs when I try to run a slip weakening slip on a conical fault. I  take your advice to some researchers that adding gravitational body forces to alleviate this phenomenon. After I add gravity field without consideration of initial stress and strain into benchmark example tpv205 and remove fault traction perturbation settings in original models, it seems that fault tractions are not affected by gravity and remain zero.
I cannot figure out why, can you help me with that? Boundary conditions used are absorbing boundary conditions.

Thanks
Ge

-----ÓʼþÔ­¼þ-----
·¢¼þÈË: Brad Aagaard [mailto:baagaard at usgs.gov]
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2015Äê2ÔÂ4ÈÕ 10:59
ÊÕ¼þÈË: Ge Li, Mr
³­ËÍ: cig-short at geodynamics.org
Ö÷Ìâ: Re: Pylith adaptive time stepping

Ge,

Adaptive time stepping is currently implemented for viscoelastic bulk rheologies based on the relaxation time.

See sections 4.2.4.3 and 5.1.4 of the PyLith manual for more information.