[CIG-SHORT] Varying material properties in 3D

Michal Dichter mdichter at unm.edu
Fri Mar 27 22:43:45 PDT 2015

Dear PyLith gurus,

I have a hollow magma chamber embedded in a three-dimensional cubical domain and I want to spatially vary the Vs values in three dimensions. My tetrahedral mesh (.exo attached) is 250x250x100 km and consists of 3 materials (all elastic for now). The elements are all well-formed.

I have successfully used the SimpleDB structure to vary Vs along a line and on a plane (use mat_elastic_2D.spatialdb and see the statevar output for mu). However PyLith always returns an error whenever I try to vary Vs over the full volume: "Could not find parameters for physical properties at (x,y,z)." I am confounded by the error because I set a Vs value at each of the 8 corners of the cubical domain (mat_elastic_3D.spatialdb). I wonder why PyLith runs for 1D and 2D but not for 3D? PyLith actually runs the 3D case when I use query_type = nearest. However I would much prefer to use query_type = linear for my problem.

Do you know where I have gone wrong? Or what I have not understood about the SimpleDB structure? Or maybe there is something funny about my mesh because of the hollow magma chamber? Thanks for your help! I look forward to your reply.

Best,

Michal

Michal Dichter
Department of Physics and Astronomy