[CIG-SHORT] Varying material properties in 3D

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 30 09:17:55 PDT 2015

Michal,

SimpleDB is best for scattered points. It attempts to form a tetrahedron
using the points around the query location. It can use scattered points
but it is not very robust, especially for points on a sparse regular
grid. It works much better for scattered points with a spacing similar
to that of the underlying mesh.

If your points are on a logically rectangular grid, then SimpleGridDB is
much more efficient (much faster queries) and robust. See Section 4.5.3
in the PyLith manual. The file format is given in Appendix C.3.