[CIG-SHORT] PyLith: Stresses not transmitted throughout the domain from Drichlet BCs on CUBIT Mesh

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:37:38 PDT 2015

Dear Mamun,

It is a bit difficult to diagnose your problem without more information.  However, here are several potential problems:

1.  First of all, the mesh you’re using is not of very high quality.  The method you’ve used for refinement is pretty crude, and will never result in high quality elements. Trelis/Cubit has a number of more powerful methods for creating a high quality mesh, and I would take advantage of those.
2.  It is unclear why you have set the normalization length scale to 1 m, since I believe this is much smaller than your smallest element.
3.  There is no indication of whether the linear and nonlinear solutions are converging, since you have turned off all the solution monitoring options, including the journal options.  You should never do this, as there is then no way to tell what has happened with your solution.

You should try running your problem again with all the solution monitoring options turned back on, and save the results to a log file.  This will help us diagnose your problem further.  I would also try improving your mesh quality and selecting a normalization length scale that is appropriate for your mesh (~equal to the smallest cell dimension).

> On 14/10/2015, at 6:26 am, Mamun Miah <mmiah at go.olemiss.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Developers,
>
> I have created the attached geometry (5kmx5kmx4.1km) in CUBIT. It has three layer of materials (2000m+100m+200m) and a vertical fault (along Z axis) 1000m to the left from the positive X-plane boundary. The exported Exodus mesh is then used to run a PyLith simulation with Dirichlet displacement and displacement rate BCs (e.g. PyLith Tutorial 'step12.cfg') on +x and -x sides. The simulation runs fine but even after running for 100 years I don't see any stress being transmitted to the interior domain. All I can see is the stress changes in the boundary elements where the Dirichlet BCs are applied. I am not sure if it is caused by improper meshing or boundary conditions.
>
> Attached also are the .cfg files, geometry journal file, and stress output file from simulation. I would highly appreciate any help.
>
> --
> Thanks & Best Regards,
>
> Mamun Miah
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Department of Civil Engineering
> The University of Mississippi
> Oxford, MS 38655
> Phone: (662)-801-1904 <>
> Website: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mamun-miah-eit/21/53/339 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mamun-miah-eit/21/53/339><geometry.jpg><application.cfg><pylithapp.cfg><visit0000.png><application.jou>_______________________________________________

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon