[CIG-SHORT] questions about RELAX

Beatriz COSENZA MURALLES cosenzamural at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 23 14:16:26 PST 2016

Thank you very much for your answer.

When dealing with a very simple fault, I chose an origin point with coordinates (lon/lat) -90.6648/14.8260. This would be a 300 km fault with a left superior tip at x1 = 0, x2 = -150 km, x3 = 0, and a right superior tip at x1 = 0, x2 =+150 km and x3 = 0. The lon/lat coordinates of these two points obtained with gmt mapproject are  -92.05676406/14.80200819 and -89.27035597/14.84166050. The fault trace in my map was drawn using the geographical coordinates of these three reference points. My input for relax looks like this:

# grid size (sx1,sx2,sx3)
32 32 32
# sampling size (in unit of length), smoothing (0-0.5) & nyquist (dx1,dx2,dx3,beta,nq)
20000 20000 20000 0.2 2
# origin position & rotation
0 0 0
# geographic origin (longitude and latitude), UTM zone and real length unit (usually m or km)
-90.6648 14.8260 16 1
# observation depth for displacement and for stress (stress in only exported in GRD)
0 0
# output directory (all output written here)
$WDIR
# elastic parameters and gamma = (1-nu) rho g / mu = 8.33e-7 /m = 8.33e-4 /km
5.091e10 40e9 4.76e-10
# integration time (in unit of time), step (negative for automatic) and scaling of computed value
40 1
# number of observation planes
0
# no x1 x2 x3 length width strike dip
#   1  0 -3  0      6     6     90  90
# number of observation points
0
# number of Coulomb patches
0
# number of prestress interfaces
0
# number of linear viscous interfaces (where viscosity changes)
1
# no depth gammadot0 cohesion (gammadot0 is shear modulus divided by viscosity)
1   25000   0.126144    0.0
# number of linear ductile zones
0
# number of powerlaw viscous interfaces
0
# number of friction faults
0
# number of interseismic loading strike-slip and opening
0
0
# number of coseismic events (when slip distribution is prescribed)
1
# number of shear dislocations (strike-slip and dip-slip faulting)
1
# no  slip    x1     x2      x3  length width strike dip rake
001   1.59    0 -150000  0  300000 15000 90 90 0
# number of tensile cracks
0
# number of dilatation sources
0
# number of surface traction
0
EOF
___

The results of the coseismic displacements are shown in the ps file. The fault I will work with has a much more complicated shape and I didn't noticed there was a problem with the coordinates until I started paying more attention to the coseismic to look for errors and then I tried to confirm the problem using the fault I'm showing you here. I still can't find where does the shift come from. Thanks again,

Beatriz