[CIG-SHORT] Pylith question

Demian Gomez demiang at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:27:00 PST 2016

Hi Matt,

1) It would be nice to see the full, uniform sphere test with comparison to
analytic solution
See attached figures. This test was done using a uniform material sphere
with slip on a single node. Since Pollitz' analytic solution uses
rectangular uniform slip patches, I estimate (by trial and error) the scale
size and amount of slip of a patch that has the same orientation as the
finite element node that I use in Pylith. The agreement in the mid and far
field is excellent, but in the near field you can clearly notice that there
are some differences, which I want to double check with and without
gravity. In general (except for some near field stations), the difference
is below 2 mm.

2) So you are saying that you only see a problem with gravity when you use
layers?
No. Sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. The problem
(non-convergence) occurs no matter what model I use. With or without layers.

3) If these problems are time dependent, it is essential to look at
convergence in the time step, since you could have instability when turning
on gravity.
These simulations are not time dependent. I am simulating quasi static
coseismic deformation.

What should be the next step?

Cheers,
Demián