[CIG-SHORT] help: Error Occurred while adjusting topology to create cohesive cells

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 22 09:52:16 PST 2016

Max,

In a previous message, when you included the longer error information it
included:

[0]PETSC ERROR: Could not classify all cells connected to the fault

If you just get the abort, then you aren't getting the whole error
message. Try collecting the stdout and stderr in a file (i.e., pylith
MYFILE.cfg >& log) as this usually helps make sure you get the entire
error message.

In any case the error message is likely not to be very informative
because when we adjust the topology to create the fault, there are
really only three user-supplied items: (1) the mesh, (2) the
pset/nodeset of vertices on the fault, and (3) the pset/nodeset of
vertices on the buried edges.

I would first look at your mesh in ParaView and run mesh quality metrics
to look for slivers and other badly formed cells. You can also run
coincident node/vertex checks to make sure you don't have duplicate
nodes/vertices. If the mesh looks good, try running a simple problem
without a fault and then add each fault one by one. This usually helps
identify what is causing the problem.